PEAKE GARDENS RECREATION RESERVE
Named after the Hon. Archibald Henry Peake.
Born – London 15th January, 1859.
Died – Adelaide 8th April, 1920.
Member of Parliament – 1897 – 1920.
Premier of South Australia – 1909 – 1910, 1912 – 1915.
Mr Peake migrated to Australia in 1862 As a youth he entered the service of the District Council of Naracoorte and was later to become District Clerk, a position he held for 19 years until his resignation in 1897 to enter politics.
The Peake Gardens Reserve was originally created in a subdivision by the State Bank of South Australia in 1921, and in 1927 the land was transferred to the Council at no cost, a condition of the transfer being that it would be permanently retained as a recreation ground for all time.
On 27th march 1930 a Public Meeting was held for the purpose of nominating trustees to manage and control the reserve, and at a meeting of Council on 12th May 1930, a Trust was appointed, the first Trustees being – Messrs G D Anderson,H B Danielson, C B Claxton, W L Mates, S E Hutchins, H H Walker, A J Wiltshire and Councillor S G Schmidt. The Trust was appointed for a term of 5 years and at the expiration of that time was subsequently terminated on 19th March 1935, when Council resumed control of the Reserve.
On 22nd October, 1951, a further Public Meeting was held to again consider the formation of a Trust to manage the Reserve, and on 1st January, 1952, a new Trust was appointed.Playground equipment was first installed on the Reserve in 1952 and on 28th October, 1954, the Kurralta Park Pre-School Kindergarten was officially opened.
The initial development of the Reserve comprised the construction of 3 tennis courts in 1930, with the remainder of the land being used as a cricket ground. Since that time, however, the Reserve has been developed to the extent that it is now used almost exclusively for tennis, with 14 tennis courts under lease to the Peake Gardens Riverside Tennis Club.
webnerds web design